The principal aquaculture species at Aquaponics Africa is Tilapia rendalli. the Redbreasted Tilapia.This is a herbivorous species, native to Africa occurring between latitudes 20N-20S.It is known locally as kurper or bream and prefers warm water with temperatures of 24-32C.The South African angling record weight is 1.845kg.
Aquaponics Africa has chosen the Rendalli for the following reasons:
- Can withstand poor water quality and low oxygen.
- Can withstand variable water temperatures.
- Wide diet variety of plant matter,algae,worms,detritus,commercial pellets,Lemna(duckweed) and water lettuce.
- Good growth rates and food conversion ratios.
- Good polyculture possibilities with other species.
- Disease resistant.
- Excellent taste and texture.